If we could reduce the world's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human condition rations remaining the same, the demographics would look something like this:
The village would have 60 Asians, 14 Africans, 12 Europeans, 8 Latin Americans, 5 from the USA and Canada, and 1 from the South Pacific.
- 51 would be male, 49 would be female
- 82 would be non-white; 18 white
- 67 would be non-Christian; 33 would be Christian
- 80 would live in substandard housing
- 67 would be unable to read
- 50 would be malnourished and 1 dying of starvation
- 33 would be without access to a safe water supply
- 39 would lack access to improved sanitation
- 24 would not have any electricity (And of the 76 that do have electricity, most would only use it for light at night.)
- 7 people would have access to the Internet
- 1 would have a college education
- 1 would have HIV
- 2 would be near birth; 1 near death
- 5 would control 32% of the entire world's wealth; all 5 would be US citizens
- 33 would be receiving - and attempting to live on - only 3% of the income of "the village"
So if you’re having a bad day because you’ve been comparing yourself to the richest, smartest and prettiest of the crowd, take out this list and be grateful for what you have.